Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Secret of Kells in New York and festival previews

Once in a while I get e-mails from animation festival promoters asking me to post previews and entry deadlines on my blog. Rooftop Films, to pick just one example, have many a New York City event I’d want readers to know about. As much as I appreciate being informed of animation events however, most often I’m too slow or do not have time to write other posts than the ones I’m already working on. I apologize for that. In addition, I try to keep the industry and festival news to a minimum as there are better informed sites around the internet.

Every now and then, like right now, posting festival previews just fits into the schedule. So, without further ado:



  • New York based Rooftop Films among other things is showing independent movies in outdoor locations. TODAY (July 14th, 2010) they are screening The Secret of Kells (Tomm Moore/Nora Twomey, 2009) in the Socrates Sculpture Park in Long Island City!

    Although my expectations were a bit too high, this Irish Cartoon Saloon feature is certainly worth seeing, especially since admission is FREE. Details can be found here.

    On Thursday, July 15th, Rooftop has a joint birthday party with other New York City independent cinema organisations indieWIRE and Snag Films.

  • The New York Television Festival 2010 will be held Sept 20-25 in New York City. It has been described as the industry’s first recognized festival for independent television. The deadline for the “Independent Pilot Competition” has already passed by, but there seems to be a lot to see at the festival itself. Check it out here.

  • In Autumn 2010 (there doesn’t seem to be a precise date yet) the 5th International Fest of Contemporary animation & media-art LINOLEUM will take place in Moscow (Russia).

    Submission deadline for animated films is August 30th, 2010. According to the press release ‘the works are accepted without any strict thematic limitation, but under the common title “Full Recovery” ‘. The films (created no earlier than 2009 and not previously shown in Russia) are to be sent in on DVD, not length limits.

    For more information, click here (and then click on “ENGLISH” upper left corner).

2 comments:

Delfos said...

Hi!

I'm an animation student from Argentina, and I have to say that your blog it's awesome.

I founded it was strange that were no comments on the previous entries, so I decided to comment myself.

Your color studies are great, and I'll be reading them really carefully to learn as much as I can from them.

I liked The Secret of Kells very much, specially the backgrounds and the composition of the shots.

Thanks!

Oswald Iten said...

Thanks for the kind words! There are indeed not many comments, but I always hope people are reading the posts at all. I'm not a frequent commenter on other blogs myself, although I read some of them daily.

Admitting that, I'm still surprised that even Hans Perk on his great blog doesn't get the amount of comments one would expect.

So it's encouraging to get some kind of response once in a while.